November 23, 1885: The first class, in mechanical drawing, was held at the Mechanic's Institute, which would later become RIT. In addition to mechanical and architectural drawing, classes in the domestic industries of sewing, dress making, and cooking were added. The institute would acquire land and buildings to create a campus between the Canal, Spring, Washington and Plymouth Streets. In 1901, George Eastman donated $200,000 for a new red brick building which would hold lecture halls, a new library and administrative offices.
Sources and Further Reading:
- RIT History
- Rochester, the Power City 1900-1901, Rochester Chamber of Commerce (1901), pg 36-45 (source of images)
>> NEXT EVENT: Nov 24 Red Skies
<< PREVIOUS EVENT: Nov 20 Telephone Strike, 100 Acre Tract